Re: [SLUG] Microsoft backtracks

From: Travis Walls (twalls@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Jul 07 2001 - 16:38:24 EDT

I remember what it was like to be a newbie. of course when i was a newbie,
fvwm was _the_ window manager for red hat 5 (NO GNOME/NO KDE). I understand
what its like to update files on linux and windows. both are time consuming
and sometimes a hassle. however unless its a security update, i only check
for them and download them monthly. as far as synching data files, i try to
have one comp do work and one comp do games and one as a server. i still
havent has time to figure out how to sync files nor have i needed too. (well
i didnt need anything really convoluted so i just copy them from one to
another to update them) most modern distros have made updating very easy
from the web. and with 2000 their is windows update.

<snip>

> Hi Travis and the Group,
> I'm pretty new to Linux, my question, after reading your responce is, how
do
> you manage to keep each of the O/S's current and sharing information
between
> all of them. I'm running two P'uters, both have M$ Win. 2K & Linux
Mandrake 8
> on them, and I have one heck of a job keeping each one up with the other,
if
> it's not 'critical updates' it's software upgrades, to driver changes, let
> alone keeping all my data files in sycn.. It there an easy way of doing
this,
> again I'm a real novice to Linux about one year. I have upgraded once
both
> Red Hat and Mandrake on my desk unit and Mandrake on my laptop. Thanks in
> advance, but please in your responce, remember I'm a "NEWBI"
> Dr. Paul

<snip>

Frank, this is almost exactly what im talking about. I love the unix
philosophy of small parts of a whole. (and thats part of why i ever tried
linux) the problem i was talking about is having to switch between multiple
progs (that are supposed to do the same essential task) because of poor
quality of prog or lack of essential features. In windows, this doesnt exist
as frequently. for example all word processing done in word. now there are
some features limited in word but its pretty darn productive when all your
coworkers use word too. the funny thing is when MS expands features we love
to scream "CODE BLOAT!". maybe thats why all linux progs have limited
features. hmmmmm

>Personally I think this is too complicated. Way too complicated.
>As far as I am concerned Kwrite should not only recognize Kmail files but I
>should be able to open Kmail files in Kwrite and to me this is the big
>drawback of Linux to the desktop world.
>
>Frank

To all of you, thank you for your constructive and positive criticism.
Please note that i only meant to get people thinking and to further
enlighten you on how one feels from a semi pro ms perspective and was
relieved to get this kind of response. earlier i referred to the unix
philosophy attracting me to linux. since i believe at least one of you
brought up the question of why i went to linux, i shall explain:

it was free, i at the time was using a pirated copy of windows. i was 14 and
couldnt afford the $100 copy of windows. with linux, i came clean and
destroyed my pirated copies and came clean with MS during amnesty period.

it is open source. i cant code that well but im learning. and plus you dont
need to code to modify kernel. its modular and configurable.

its unix. lets face it unix kicks a$$. its so perfect. the filesystem
arrangment. the part of whole component scheme. superior security,
robustness, networking, etc.

it is mainstream unix now. its hard to believe but it seems that linux is
the only nix most companies seem to recognize along with macos and windows.
not beos not qnx and not bsd. ive tried using those and am not impressed as
i used to be. it seems that if any unix takes desktop it will be linux.

well thats all i can say...

good day!