Re: [SLUG] last nights meeting.

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 19:02:38 EDT

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:25:17AM -0400, Andy Woeber wrote:

> I do not want to be too critical about the first Tampa meeting. I thought
> the presentation was good but probably went too long and there was no time
> for the raffle. Also, members and officers of the meeting were not
> introduced and there was no "business agenda" for the meeting. I know this
> is a friendly meeting and less structure is better for these meetings,
> however some timekeeping and agenda would be appreciated to help focus the
> group better. Overall, I enjoyed the questions during the presentation and
> think Derek put on a swell show. Maybe include references for Newbies to
> search out info would help.
>
> Andy

Yes, Derek did a _great_ job.

My apologies to all for not holding the raffle. Derek finished at about
the time that we needed to vacate the room, and there simply wasn't time
for it. I'll bring the stuff back to the next meeting.

There were some problems with this presentation (not Derek's fault), one
of which caused it to run long. First, there were questions asked
_during_ the presentation. This guarantees a too-long presentation.
Questions need to be held until afterward. I didn't make this clear
before the presentation-- my fault. The same goes for comments and
corrections. Unless the presenter is flat out dead wrong (Derek wasn't),
we should hold these until the end. Second, there were too many private
conversations going on in various parts of the room. Very distracting,
not only to the listeners, but to the presenter.

To Andy: My apologies on the timekeeping. The agenda is generally what
you saw last night, except for the omission of the raffle. Meetings
without presentations mostly consist of socializing and/or getting help
with Linux problems. I don't intro officers unless it's pertinent to the
announcements, etc. I should probably introduce myself so everyone
knows, but sometimes I don't do it.

Presentations are usually well received (like this one), so I'm trying
to line up some more. Any volunteers, let Ed or me know.

Paul