Re: [SLUG] Red Hat 6.2 problem

From: Gypsy (klgeorge@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jul 12 2001 - 20:51:16 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 08:01:55PM -0400, Gypsy wrote:
>
> > Paul M Foster wrote:
> > >

> > > Just for grins, once you're booted into single user mode, try this:
> > >
> > > telinit 3
> > >
> > > See what that does, and report back.
> >
> > It locks up at "starting linuxconf".
>
> Which would seem to indicate that your boot code is okay, but linuxconf
> is thrashed. My vote would be to disable it and see what happens. To do
> this:
>
> Go to the directory where your init scripts are located. This depends on
> the distro you're running, but it will be called init.d and is usually
> either /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d. Check to see that there is an
> script called "linuxconf". If so, then copy that script to a backup
> location, like:
>
> cp linuxconf linuxconf.backup
>
> Now edit the original linuxconf script. There should be a line at the
> top, something like #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/bash. Leave that line there.
> Erase everything else from the file, and in its place put the following
> line:
>
> /bin/true
>
> Save the file, reboot and execute telinit 3 as before, and see if it
> gets beyond this point. Watch the messages that scroll past as the
> machine boots up. You can also look at the messages after the fact by
> doing:
>
> less /var/log/dmesg
>
> or
>
> dmesg
>
> What you'll see may be very confusing, but at some point you should see
> something weird, or some error message.
>
> If this doesn't work, then I vote for a hardware problem (if I recall
> the beginning of this thread correctly). Remember, just because hardware
> works correctly in Windows doesn't mean it will do so under Linux.
> Windows is notoriously sloppy about its hardware support, whereas Linux
> expects the hardware to function properly, and can be unforgiving when
> it doesn't.
>
> Paul

Thanks, it still didn't help and there are no error messages that I can
find other then when it tries to load modules. I'll be changing my
hardware around in a couple of months and I guess I'll try again then.
I'll keep looking for answers in the meantime. Maybe I'll get lucky. :)

I'll also see about bringing my machine to one of the Saturday meetings,
though that will probably be a few months down the line.

Thanks again for trying to help.

--
KL

Imagination is the seed of intelligence. Nourish it and watch it grow. ICQ #3788510