Re: [SLUG] Red Hat 6.2 problem

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 23:27:57 EDT

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 08:01:55PM -0400, Gypsy wrote:

> Paul M Foster wrote:
> >

> > Just for grins, once you're booted into single user mode, try this:
> >
> > telinit 3
> >
> > See what that does, and report back.
>
> It locks up at "starting linuxconf".

Which would seem to indicate that your boot code is okay, but linuxconf
is thrashed. My vote would be to disable it and see what happens. To do
this:

Go to the directory where your init scripts are located. This depends on
the distro you're running, but it will be called init.d and is usually
either /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.d/init.d. Check to see that there is an
script called "linuxconf". If so, then copy that script to a backup
location, like:

cp linuxconf linuxconf.backup

Now edit the original linuxconf script. There should be a line at the
top, something like #!/bin/sh or #!/bin/bash. Leave that line there.
Erase everything else from the file, and in its place put the following
line:

/bin/true

Save the file, reboot and execute telinit 3 as before, and see if it
gets beyond this point. Watch the messages that scroll past as the
machine boots up. You can also look at the messages after the fact by
doing:

less /var/log/dmesg

or

dmesg

What you'll see may be very confusing, but at some point you should see
something weird, or some error message.

If this doesn't work, then I vote for a hardware problem (if I recall
the beginning of this thread correctly). Remember, just because hardware
works correctly in Windows doesn't mean it will do so under Linux.
Windows is notoriously sloppy about its hardware support, whereas Linux
expects the hardware to function properly, and can be unforgiving when
it doesn't.

Paul