Re: [SLUG] "You have new mail..."

From: Paul Braman (aeon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jul 13 2001 - 18:02:24 EDT

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Mark wrote:

> Ok, I could dig through a bunch of src code to find this out but I'm
> hoping I don't have to.
>
> In bash when you get new email you are told "You have new mail in...."
>
> What variable or status event is used by programs that check for new
> email? I have this info at home but unfortunately I'm at work. If anyone
> can remember off the top of their heads let me know.

Typically what programs (like bash) do is check the $MAIL variable and
compare the "last access" and "last update" times. (If I recall
correctly.) It's some silly little logic like "if the spool has been
updated more recently than I've accessed it, I bet there is new mail".

Paul Braman
aeon@tampabay.rr.com