Re: [SLUG] Ever heard of OpenNic?

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sun Jul 15 2001 - 18:27:41 EDT

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 01:33:00PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Just saw this on one of the Debian mailing lists: there's a guy who's going
> to be using an "alternate" type of email address. The note is below, but
> I'm interested in your thoughts about OpenNic...
>
> Whadda ya think?
>
> Russell
>
> I will be switching my email addresses from @ferret.dyndns.org to
> @mail.aom.geek on or after September 1, 2001, but not until after
> Debian's servers include support. 'geek' is an OpenNIC TLD. See
> http://www.opennic.unrated.net for details about adding OpenNIC
> support to your computer, or ask your provider to add support to
> their name servers.

I'm sorry, but I've got to disagree with the idea of "rogue" TLDs. Yes,
ICANN is moving slowly on adding TLDs, and I don't know why. Yes, I
understand about the seemingly anarchic nature of the internet. However,
the system was built on a good framework that has served well for many
years. As noted in other posts, rogue TLDs add an unnecessary level of
complexity to internet navigation. I don't know that much about ICANN,
but I'd have to assume that having TLD addition in the hands of ICANN is
better than having it in the hands of a lot of little (or big) companies
who have a profit interest in adding their own TLDs. What if a company
like Microsoft got into this business, and convinced everyone that it
was a great idea to be part of the MSFT domain? Or AOL? Then you have a
situation where one or two profit-taking companies control a sizable
portion of the TLDs on the internet, as opposed to something like ICANN.

Paul