Re: [SLUG] Two Network Cards....

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Jul 16 2001 - 00:00:30 EDT

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 10:47:15PM -0400, Mark wrote:

> Ok, here's another quandry.
>
> Machine was normal until the power supply blows up. I replace it and boot
> up. Well, not the kernel sees one Nic card and halfway sees the other.
>
> 'dmesg' shows eth0 but not eth1
>
> /proc/pci shows both of them
> /proc/interrupts shows only eth0

I've seen PnP cards grab I/O addresses beyond the range of what the
Linux kernel can recognize. Which is why I don't use PnP cards. Some of
them don't come with a program to _set_ the IRQ and I/O address where
you want, so I always go for the non-PnP cards. This may not be the case
with yours at all-- just a comment.

> 'ifconfig eth0' works fine
> 'ifconfig eth1' doesn't
>
> BIOS wasn't changed - I have gone through it playing with the IRQ
> allocation in case it was being 'difficult'
>
> Moving the cards around in the slots disable both cards - they aren't seen
> at all by the kernel.

Slot(s) blown? = flaky motherboard = possible/probable outcome from
blown power supply?

Paul