Re: [SLUG] Ximian, microsoft and .nyet

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 06:58:55 EDT

On Tuesday 17 July 2001 12:21 am, you wrote:
> > In all fairness, I must ask the question: How is creating an open
> > source version of .net (Mono) -- with or without Microsoft's help --
> > different from creating an open source version of Microsoft networking (
> > Samba ) complete with all Microsoft's non-compliant SMB extensions?
> >
> > My guts heave at the idea of a .net for Linux but then where would we be
> > today without Samba? Didn't Samba PREVENT people from being locked into
> > Microsoft products for file and print services? Could Mono be another
> > Samba?
>
> Uhhmm.. maybe it's the paranoid in me talking, but did you ever think
> that they did this for the same reason that they bought 25% of Apple?
> They keep a competitor alive just enough to get the government off their
> backs. They help out Mono to create "competition," a fight to which they
> make up all the rules and hold most of the cards. I doubt that they do
> this for anything else than 2 reasons:
> 1) They need to stop being visibly monopolistic
> 2) they want to get more "free labor" a-la *BSD.
>
> *getting out of paranoid mode*
>
> Norb

Hi Norb:

Sorry, I do not consider reality to be paranoia.

If the bad guys are truly out to get you and you respond accordingly then
what you are doing is based on reality not on a psychotic condition of
paranoia.

Sorry, I firmly agree with you.

Ms has done this numerous times in the past, it is extremely logical to
believe that they are doing it in the present,
and you have your feet firmly based in reality if you believe that they will
do it in the future.

Frank