[SLUG] More problems with network cards

From: Electric Monk (elctmonk@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 12:00:37 EDT

Well, since last Friday, I decided to bring in my
Debian CDs to install on this
computer here at work, instead of Redhat. I also
bought a brand new PCI network
card for said machine. However, I am still having
difficulties with using insmod to
load the appropriate kernel module for the card. It
uses the Realtek 8139 chipset,
so I'm assuming that rtl8139.o is the correct module.

When I try to load it, I get an error message telling
me that the device is busy, which
it says means that the IRQ or I/O port could be
configured incorrectly, although if I
recall correctly, this SHOULD NOT be a problem with
the PCI bus. What do I
need to do to get it working?

Also, when I type "ifconfig -a" at the console, the
only interface that is shown is the
loopback. Will the network card automatically be
added once I install its module?

--Kevin Fogleman

=====
--electricmonk