Re: [SLUG] Ximian, microsoft and .nyet

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Jul 17 2001 - 13:14:54 EDT

Your right, the internet is not going to be owned by Microsoft or by any
one entity - too many bright, ingenious developers ready to provide
alternatives. But the idea of extortion based on data rather than
software is a worrisome leap for me. And Microsoft may be able to
dictate where and how the information is stored and accessed. There is a
subject about a download licensing patent on Slashdot today that rubs up
against this idea. It isn't about Microsoft today but it could be in
the future.

I wasted some time last night goofing with a futuristic bill for
internet access. It's a little silly but maybe it can be an example of
how alternative access on the net might be encumbered. So it's attached
(text-based).

-Robert

Derek Glidden wrote:

> Robert Haeckl wrote:
> >
> > me. You may not be able to access some of your favorite sites unless
> > you buy into the .NET plan. Microsoft knows they can't control the wire
> > but maybe through proprietary servers they can control the endpoints of
> > the internet. Maybe it's a bit paranoid but in view of Microsoft's
> > business practices a healthy dose of skepticism is warranted.
>
> While I agree with everything you said in your message, this bit here is
> a statement that I see repeated over and over when people talk about
> Microsoft "owning" the Internet.
>
> The way I see it, unless they purchase the physical lines, or the actual
> transport layer that drives the Internet (concievable, but highly
> unlikely, I think) the Internet at large will still remain free as a
> whole. The difference being there will effectively be two "Internets"
> running in parallel: the one that all the Microsoft people can see and
> use, and the one the rest of us can see and use which will still be
> powered by things like Sendmail, Apache, BIND, Mozilla and so on.

| WIME TARNER COMMUNICATIONS STATEMENT OF ACCOUNT |
| |
| Statement Date: July 17, 2005 |
| Account Number: 9876 54 321 0000:-( |
| |
| ACCOUNT SUMMARY Previous Balance $245.90 |
| Payment -245.90 |
| Monthly Charge 75.00 |
| .NET Downloads 54.95 |
| .NET USAGE FEE 26.95 |
| MegaColonic .NET access 82.95 |
| Taxes & Fees 19.19 |
| ------------------------------- |
| Balance Due 259.04 |
| For Your Information |
| Wime Tarner uses MegaColonic CheckMate Services to process and collect |
| money on checks that are returned for insufficient funds. If your |
| check is sent to CheckMate for collection, you are responsible for |
| paying the amount of the check plus any processing charges directly |
| to CheckMate, not Wime Tarner. As a licensed .NET Hosting Company, |
| service to open source alternatives will be interrupted until charges |
| and fees are paid in full to CheckMate and written approval to provide |
| services is received from CheckMate Services. |
| |
| PAYMENT COUPON Statement Date July 17, 2005 |
| Account Number 9876 54 321 0000:-( |
| Name: Red B. Hind |
| |
| |