Re: [SLUG] Procmail FAQs

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 18:42:23 EDT

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:41:37AM -0400, Ian C. Blenke wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:05:08AM -0400, Derek Glidden wrote:
> >
> > If I read mail with Mutt, and "tag" some messages to be deleted without
> > actually deleting them on exit, and then open up Netscape, it can "tell"
> > that those messages have been flagged "deleted" and will indicate them
> > as such.
>
> I'm purely using mutt at the moment, and it tends to show the deleted
> messages only as read when I restart it. :(
>
> Can you look at your raw mbox and look for the Status: and X-Status: lines
> of the deleted messages? Once you know the flag to use with the
> "formail -A" rule to mark incoming messages the same way.

I just tested this (using mutt). Mutt apparently caches this information
while you're using it. After you have read a message, the raw mbox shows
exit out of mutt.

<snip>

> > So, presuming I can figure out what to do to the message to tell it to
> > be deleted, I should be able to use a rule something like this, eh:
> >
> > :0
> > * ^.*slug@nks.net
> > {
> > :0 cw
> > | formail -A "Status: Deleted"
> >
> > :0
> > slug
> > }
>
> Exactly. That should do it.

Instead, start this recipe with:

:0
* ^Sender: slug@nks\.net

The concept of "deleted" mail is only valid within a given MUA, I
believe. One MUA's deleted mail will not be understood by another as
deleted, probably because this is tracked in memory, not on disk.

Paul