Re: [SLUG] Public hearing THURSDAY at 11:30AM on face scanning software in Ybor City

From: David Little (dml@lmd.net)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 18:54:44 EDT

> Derek Glidden wrote:
>
> No not directly related and I agreed at first, but then I started
> thinking. (and we all know how dangerous THAT can be...)
>
> Linux is all about freedom. This whole face-scanning thing is about
> taking away people's freedoms (remember, even criminals have rights, and
> everyone is innocent until proven guilty) in small, measured doses so
> that people don't realize it. Who would be more interested in defending
> themselves against something like this terrible idea? Some Microsoftian
> conformist who says, "I'm not a criminal. I don't have to worry about
> it." or a Linux-y peacenik type who says, "Wait a minute, I'm not a
> criminal, but nonetheless, this is stripping away *my* rights and
> freedoms even so, and it's something I should be concerned about!"
>
> Ok, so it's a bit of a stretch... :)

No, I don't think it's a stretch at all. You're completely right. Nothing
so egregious as the ideas in 1984 is implemented as one large chunk. Think
about.NET. First, Windows and Office XP have "required registration".
Next, I'm sure, come a few more things. Finally, Microsoft is having
everyone rent their basic applications by the minute. Do you think they
could just skip to .NET right now? Hell no, everyone would go running for
things like Linux.

By the same token, if any outright horrifying laws were made right now, the
public would revolt. They would be off the books in no time. But they can
install this, and tell you all about how it has to be verified by an officer
before action can be taken, and it's very limited, and all kinds of things.
And people will do exactly what you said, just have a very automatic "Well
*I'm* no criminal." reaction. Well what if you were a criminal one day?
What if you weren't, but wrongly accused? You can play what if all day. We
have to protect the least among us, lest the largest someday fall to
creeping injustice.

Today, they're coming for the supposed criminals, in the name of justice.
But, if you let them, they'll eventually be coming for you.

-- Dave