Re: [SLUG] IMHO: Microsoft dropping java from WinXP

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 00:48:06 EDT

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 07:03:30PM -0400, Ed Centanni wrote:

> If you think about it, it makes sense for microsoft.
>
> Java is used mostly in two places -- browser applets and server-side web
> applications. The majority of java development is now on the server
> side. microsoft owns the desktop and browser market so they can call the
> shots there. They can refuse to support browser applets and since most
> sites code to IE anyway they'll get away with it. On the server side
> most of the servers are NOT microsoft platforms so microsoft doesn't
> care what they run on them and those customers don't care about
> microsoft dropping java support. microsoft servers generally don't use
> java in lieu of microsoft server side products anyway.
>
> I really think they'll get away with this.

They probably will "get away" with this. I doubt the government can
legitimately force MS to support Java. And if they're pushing C#, then
supporting Java is a bad idea. But it may hurt their monopoly case.

And according to the HWG list, most web designers code to _both_ IE and
NS. It hacks them off, but they do it.

Paul