Re: [SLUG] samba question

From: Larry Sanders (lsanders@flash.net)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 21:49:52 EDT

In his book 'Samba', John Blair writes
Setting up Samba to treate case the sam as an NT server using NTFS
would behave, use these settings:
   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
These last two options control whether or not new files are created exactly
as
the SMB client passes them to Samba. If <preserve case> is false, file
names
will always be converted to the default cse before being created.
The <short preserve case> (default=no) option controls wheter or not file
names which
conform to the 8.3 syntax are created using the case supplied by the client.
Oddly
enough, the case of this file name often bears little relation to what the
user entered.
A useful combination of settings is to set <preserve case = yes> and
<short preserve case = no>. This causes the case to be preserved for long
file
names, but converts all 8.3 file names to the default case before storing
them.
The reason this option exists is because applications that can handle long
file
names seem less likely to mess with the case the user enters.

The default for <mangle case> is false. This option controls wheter or not
file
names which do not consist of all default case characters are mangled before
passing them to the client. This avoids passing mixed cse file names to
clients
might choke on them.

This is more than you asked for BUT, when I worked this out it was for an
old
DOS 3.2 program that was very finicky. Oh, it seems casee is misspelled.
Larry :-)