Re: [SLUG] Null modem connection

From: billt (billt@ifelse.org)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 00:43:16 EDT

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:36:05PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, it didn't work: no device was
> recognized. :-( Ah well. So, I'm going to switch gears and try to get my
> ethernet cards recognized.

I was going to suggest trying to find a nullmodem serial cable and a
mac to pc serial port adapter (good luck finding one of those),
hook your serial ports together and try to get at the console on
the serial port, that way you could use zmodem to transfer files
back and forth. But if you can get the ethernet card working, that
is better.

> But first things first: how do _I_ recognize the cards? They look pretty
> generic to me. One says (on the chip itself): NE2000 Compatible Plug & Play
> (PnP). The other says nothing of the sort. It's got "LAN" -- apparently from
> Texas Instruments on the chip. The other chip says Olicom...

The NE2000 compatible card might work, don't know about the Olicom.
One way to find out (if you had kernel source) would be to

   grep -ir ne2000 *

in the top of the source tree. then work out which drivers you need

i am pretty sure that the ne2000-compatible is supported because i
remember the ne2000 being mentioned. lemme check...

... ah-ha:

NE2000/NE1000 support
CONFIG_NE2000
  If you have a network (Ethernet) card of this type, say Y and read
  the Ethernet-HOWTO, available from
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#howto . Many Ethernet cards
  without a specific driver are compatible with NE2000.

  If you have a PCI NE2000 card however, say N here and Y to "PCI
  NE2000 support", above. If you have a NE2000 card and are running
  on an MCA system (a bus system used on some IBM PS/2 computers and
  laptops), say N here and Y to "NE/2 (ne2000 MCA version) support",
  below.

  This driver is also available as a module ( = code which can be
  inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
  The module will be called ne.o. If you want to compile it as a
  module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt as well as
  Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt.

HTH