Re: [SLUG] problem with mysql

From: Bob File (rfile@innet.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 17:10:00 EDT

On Friday 20 July 2001 12:04, billt wrote:

> > No. The systems' root login does not work. Every utility if used won't
> > proceed past the login. What utilities did you use?
>
> the mysql_install_db doesn't ask for anything and will recreate
> the database and tables that mysql uses to manage access. It will
> create them from _scratch_ so the root password will be null. And
> granted access will have to be re-added.

hmm... I thought it was telling me that it would be preserved, but no matter,
it was brand new anyway. There is a recomendation on the screen after
mysql_install_db is run about issuing 2 commands to get started with a root
user password. I am not sure the second command worked though. But after
doing that I was able to run mysql_setpermission and set up a couple of users.

> Why doesn't the system root password work? Why should it? It would
> require mysql to run with greater privs. than it needs to function as
> a database server.

Well I was wondering, but that makes sense. The program doesn't need any more
privledges than it can use, and it is a security issue.

> what command did you use to change the password to the "virgin"
> password. and what command are you now using to try to get access?

I hope Patrick sees this, as it was he who was looking for the info. It just
sounded very familiar to me. I installed mysql after the initial
installation. I am also bad about remembering to actually start the db
engine. No need to run it all the time. If it isn't started, it makes it look
like the password may not be correct on some of the util commands.

Incidently, I seem to have a set of scripts on my path as root user that
start and stop various processes. They all begin with "rc". So the
start/stop script for mysql would be rcmysql start. I don't think I had those
before. A nice touch, I must say.

thanks much for the info billt
Bob