Re: [SLUG] Kernel Panix

From: Brian Coyle (brianc@magicnet.net)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 19:46:36 EDT

Bill wrote:

> Is this, perhaps, a failing of kernel 2.2.17? During each install I manually
> provided the ram count as "1536M" after Linux had automatically located only
> 896M. The install program choked when I tried entering "1.5 G" but seemed
> content with the "1536M" formatting. This included starting the install
> process with "F1 / linux mem=1536".

I've missed quite a bit of this thread, so apologies if this has already
been covered...

IIRC, there was a 1024Mb RAM limit in the stock 2.2.xx kernels.
There is an option (sorry don't remember) that sets an #IFDEF in the
kernel headers to enable the >1G support. Try google.com/linux

In order to boot so you can make the necessary changes and rebuild
the kernel, you'll have to pass a 'mem=512M" or some value < 1Gb to lilo
(actually, that 896Mb might be the magic number).

HTH!

--
Linux - the ultimate Windows Service Pack