Re: [SLUG] Kernel Panix

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 20 2001 - 16:30:41 EDT

On Saturday 21 July 2001 23:46, you wrote:

> IIRC, there was a 1024Mb RAM limit in the stock 2.2.xx kernels.
> There is an option (sorry don't remember) that sets an #IFDEF in the
> kernel headers to enable the >1G support. Try google.com/linux
>
> In order to boot so you can make the necessary changes and rebuild
> the kernel, you'll have to pass a 'mem=512M" or some value < 1Gb to lilo
> (actually, that 896Mb might be the magic number).
>
> HTH!

Brian ... I think you are on the right track. The ram is physically good; of
that I am confident. Although if I keep installing / pulling it every 15
minutes that situation could change. :-( I am going to try plugging all of
it in and specifying 1024 M during set up. If that does not work, I will try
specifying 896 M and if that fails, plug in ONE stick and see how it handles
512 meg. This is Linux. There IS a way to make this work. If not now, then
surely with the next release! :-)

The odd thing of it ... the darned install program runs just fine. The
problems only surface after the installation is complete.

I read "something somewhere" about tweaking lilo but cannot, for the life of
me, recall just where. I am about 98% certain the problem is one of
configuration. When I am 100% certain I will let the group know what the
answer actually is.

In the meantime, keep those cards, letters and guesses coming, folks. I need
all the help I can get!

Bill