Re: [SLUG] Kernel Panix

From: Bill C (selinux@home.com)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 18:43:44 EDT

On Sunday 22 July 2001 00:09, you wrote:

> Make sure you aren't still specifying mem=1536m without the full
> amount in there. It will die horribly if it thinks it has more than
> it really does.

Actually, it's pretty gruesome no matter WHAT I tell it! :-)

> try reinstalling the know good 128mb stick, then telling it mem=128m
> and see if it still dies at VFS.
>
> > Scroll lock doesn't work to stop the messages so I only get FAST glimpses
> > of the ram count under Linux. I can't be certain if it is recognizing it
> > or not. Following the RAID check (RAID ... what RAID? I gots no RAID ...
> > only two HD's with no mirroring, striping or anything else fancy going
> > on.) I get the original error messages.

> ugh. the 'session number' and 'type of track' sound like
> multi-session iso9660 cdrom jargon... are you sure the cdrom is not
> booting my mistake or that suddenly your root= is not pointing to the
> cdrom drive?

> Something is not right with the hard drive. either the root fs is not
> specified in properly in lilo, the scsi (maybe?) driver module is not

Gots no scummy, er, SCSI drivers to worry about. I think that is the
non-existent RAID array.

> check freshmeat for memtest86 and see if you can load it on a floppy.
> it will find the minorest of quirks with ram. takes a while
> sometimes, but it is worth it.
>
> it is a good thing to have around!

Got it. Got it compiled. Got it copied. Got it running. I can certainly see what you mean by "takes a while".

I wonder if the author would be willing to dupe the Gibson Research hd
checker / fixer / defragger ... SpinRite. I wrote Steve G. and he has NO
plans whatsoever of porting to Linux. (It was written in Assembler and not
very portable.) But it looks like the author of memtest might have a clue.

When I was supporting some 90 old computers as an adult ed instructor,
SpinRite was my good right hand!

Thanks fer the clues!

Bill