Re: [SLUG] loading modules at boot time

From: Andy Woeber (scoville300@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jul 22 2001 - 08:15:49 EDT

On Sunday 22 July 2001 12:25 am, you wrote:
> Travis Walls wrote:
> > Hi SLUGs/SLUGgers,
> >
> > Every time I boot, I have to load 5 modules for my hardware: ibmcam,
> > ppa, joydev, ns558, and sidewinder. How do I have these load
> > automatically during the booting process? I am using Red Hat 7.1.
>
> It used to be called /etc/conf.modules
>
> The filename might have changed, but you'll need to stuff the module
> names into a config file somewhere like that. A good thing to try is
> look for something along the lines of /etc/init.d/modules or
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/modules and see what files it looks at to load modules.

I believe the file is /etc/modules.conf. However you could look at your
kernel conf file with xconfig in usr/src/ linux version and see if the kernel
 supports it. I currently have all of the support for my hardware in the
kernel as I tried to load modules into the modules.conf file but it would not
load them or could not find them. I think had to do with the conf of the
kernel I completed. Your modules.conf should look like this (note this is
only an example and not a true setup file)

modules.conf
alias parport
alias soundcore
alias usb
alias ppa
alias joydev
alias ns558
alias sidewinder

Note some devices have to be loaded first (i.e. parport before ppa). RedHat
provides good documentation on their cd. You should add alias prior to the
module name in a separate line for each device.