Re: [SLUG] loading modules at boot time

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon Jul 23 2001 - 21:19:00 EDT

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, you wrote:
> On Sunday 22 July 2001 12:25 am, you wrote:
> > Travis Walls wrote:
> > > Hi SLUGs/SLUGgers,
> > >
> > > Every time I boot, I have to load 5 modules for my hardware: ibmcam,
> > > ppa, joydev, ns558, and sidewinder. How do I have these load
> > > automatically during the booting process? I am using Red Hat 7.1.
> >
> > It used to be called /etc/conf.modules
> >
> > The filename might have changed, but you'll need to stuff the module
> > names into a config file somewhere like that. A good thing to try is
> > look for something along the lines of /etc/init.d/modules or
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/modules and see what files it looks at to load modules.
>
> I believe the file is /etc/modules.conf. However you could look at your
> kernel conf file with xconfig in usr/src/ linux version and see if the kernel
> supports it. I currently have all of the support for my hardware in the
> kernel as I tried to load modules into the modules.conf file but it would not
> load them or could not find them. I think had to do with the conf of the
> kernel I completed. Your modules.conf should look like this (note this is
> only an example and not a true setup file)
>
> modules.conf
> alias parport
> alias soundcore
> alias usb
> alias ppa
> alias joydev
> alias ns558
> alias sidewinder

I thought /etc/modules.conf or /etc/conf.modules (both work) was just the
config file for modprobe. I didn't realize it actually loaded any modules.
I've used this alais trick before to get 2 NE2000 NICs running.

In etc/modules.conf:
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options eth0 io=0x300
options eht1 io=0x320

Then, in an rc startup script, like maybe rc.net or perhaps even rc.local,
/sbin/modprobe eth0
/sbin/modprobe eth1

They both really use the ne module, but I can assign different IO addys to keep
them from stepping on each other, and get the driver to find them since it
can't probe ISA NE2000 NICs

Anyway, I think if you put a line in a startup script like:
/sbin/modprobe <module name>
it should load it for you. Look for the scripts in /etc/rc.d/rc.<scriptname>
or something similar.