Re: [SLUG] Serial-PPP

From: billt (billt@ifelse.org)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 08:48:40 EDT

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 11:18:35PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> To test the first part, the pppd -detach blah-blah etc, which worked after I
> added "noauth" to the options...I wonder about the IP addresses. Each machine
> that I'm on is the "local" one and the other machine is the "remote" ? So the
> IP addresses would be reversed for each one (from the other one), right?

IIRC, just specify the ip options on one machine, probably the one
doing proxyarp, aka the 'server'. Both will use ipcp do negotiate an
ip address. you may have to set 'ipcp-accept-remote' if not the
default

> Also, can I use getty instead of mgetty? There's no install candidate for
> mgetty in debian.

in potato, on the i368 there is apt-get install mgetty... dunno about
ppc. a getty is not completely necessary if this will be a dedicated
link. you could start them at boot, from inittab or an rc script. rc
script would probably be the better idea.

there are some options you might want to look in to so that pppd
stays after a connection is terminated, and so that it doesn't
timeout if nothing is on the other end/hasn't come up yet.

  passive
  persist

see if you need them for what you are going to do.

also, check into (iirc) 'defaultroute' option so that little-mac's
default route gets set to big-mac's forwarding address.

set debug to see the gory innards of what's happening.

good luck. pppd is rainy-day _fun_.