Re: [SLUG] shutdown messages

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jul 24 2001 - 18:44:34 EDT

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:04:47PM -0400, Smitty wrote:

> When I shutdown my box, the messages indicate that kdm does not halt.

Ohmygawsh! That means it'll keep running after you shut down! ;-}

> Is there a way to configure kdm so that it halts during shutdown?
> Also, I get the message "couldn't release ppp unit. Inappropriate ioctl for
> device." I assume this is for the modem. Is there a way for me to determine
> the io address of this device?

You shouldn't need an IO address for this. You should just be able to
issue a "ifconfig ppp0 down" command or somesuch. You might try that
manually, do the shutdown, and see if the problem goes away. In that
case, you just need to add it to the scripts for runlevel 6. But ppp
should be shut off _before_ you power down in any case.

Paul