[SLUG] Texas LUG !

From: Mark Banschbach (mrbear37@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 07:28:54 EDT

Greetings to all from the Great state of Texas !

   I am, if you had not guessed off on vacation at the
moment preparing to come home, and I thought before I
left, came home, and became brain dead again ( or was
that still), I would share with you something about
the LUG I found and visited in Corpus Christi, TX.

   If you guys ever thought you had it ruff.. you
should come take a peek at these guys ! they boast a
roster of about 20 people and I met with 3 of them.
They are a diligent bunch and were very warm and
hospitable ! We met on a Tuesday evening at the
Barnes and Noble Book store in town, and during this
vist they discussed with me the state of the IT
industry in Corpus Christi ( a frightening thought in
deed!) and how the local government was using Linux as
part of a project to monitor their bays environmental
conditions ( i.e. salinity, water temperature, air
temperature, etc..etc.. ) as part of their attempts at
monitoriing the shrimp breeding processes. Apperantly
they have a Linux box which is located IN the bay and
it uploads data about the bay to a satellite and
returns it to the company responsible for monitoring
the situation.

   They also inform me that one of the local colleges
who has some reputation as an engineering school, is
planning to build some linux robots. All very
interesting.

  They gave me their business cards and asked me to
keep in touch. I also shared the bounty of what we
had been doing and I have to admit a great amount of
pride in being part of the Suncoast Group, and being
able to relate that to the local folks here in Texas.
I could also take great pride in telling my loving
wife ( who happens to be a native of Texas) that NO..
not EVERYTHING is bigger or better in Texas ! :)

  As an aside, I also mentioned that some of us were
also rather talented musicians and one day if we got
enough practice time in ( Hint) that we might even get
a Linux recording made !

   OK enough.. I am closing and will see you all at
the next meeting !

Mark Banschbach,
Dodger of Armadillos !