Re: [SLUG] IRC channel / Guest speakers

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 01:06:02 EDT

> > Yes it's true. And it is also true that I as well as most Linux users rely
> > on GNU software to get daily tasks done. It would not be that extreme to
> > change the name of the group, just not terribly popular.

And it _ain't_ gonna happen.

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 11:39:35PM -0400, Robin \Roblimo\ Miller" wrote:

> I have told Richard that he needs to accept the use of "Linux" the same
> way Presidnet Dwight David Eisenhower accepted "IKE" as shorthand in
> headlines and wire service stories. He sort of understands the idea.
> Note that NewsForge uses GNU/Linux often, and as a section/topic head.

I read a story once that detailed the percentage of software on a
typical distro that actually comes from GNU/FSF. Much less than RMS
would have us believe. Thus, to follow his drift to its logical
conclusion, we'd have to call Linux
"GNU/someentity/otherentity/newentity/oldentity/Linux", etc. Kind of
like calling English
"Indo-European/Greek/Latin/French/Spanish/German/English". Not to
discount RMS's contribution (considerable), but his argument is
impractical.

Paul