Re: [SLUG] Samba Question - Mount

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 16:29:35 EDT

On Thursday 26 July 2001 09:27 am, you wrote:
> <snip>
>
> >I do have a Win 98 box.
>
> that is what I am working from as well,,
>
> >I am interpreting these comments to mean that I should create a
> > directory on my root directory called:
> >
> > /mongoose
>
> This is correct and that directory can be anywhere you want,,(ie:
> /home/frank/mongoose)
>
> > I am having trouble with the following:
>
> Understand that my comments are for systems on a contiguous network and
> have not been verified over either a DSL or Dial Up Line.
> Do I understand you correctly,,, you are trying to mount a 'remote'
> windows share(charlie) on the Linux box(parker), which I assume is at work?
> or is that vice versa?

Neither
I have 2 computers. Normally the dual boot HP box one stays at home and the
single boot linux system I built stays in the office. So far so good. but at
time like now I have both boxes at home. Currently they are both set up on a
big table interconnected with a hub. I could have wired them direct but I had
a spare hub and set of cables in the office. Object to learn how to put a
simple network together.

> > 1. <your server name> :
>
> Your Linux box name will not change.
> That is the Samba server I am talking about.
> Are you behind a fire wall with your Linux box?

No. for a diagram of my setup go to:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sotl155360/FranksSimpleNewbieNetwork.jpg

You may want to look at the first page to if you have DSL. It is a very heavy
graphics page so it takes 4 to 5 minutes to load on dial up.
http://home.earthlink.net/~sotl155360/

> You may have an application for automount, where the share is
> automatically mounted when you login!!
>
> > If I connect to the Internet via DSL this is assigned by the DSL server.
> > If I connect to the Internet by modem this is localhost.localdomain
> > parker = Linux box
> > charlie = Win98 box
> > If I assign names like in the linux box n /etc/hosts of:
> > 192.168.1.1 parker parker.mynet.all
> > 192.168.1.2 charlie charlie.mynet.all
> > I can not dial out. My modem stops working.
> > If I assign the above names in the Win98 box in: \windows\HOSTS
> > the box and I
> > attempt to ping parker (Linux box) from charlie (Win98 box) then
> > the Win 98
> > box attempts to dial out via modem.
> >
> > I DO NOT desire to disconnect the ability to dial out in the Win 98 box
> > because I move equipment to and from the office to frequently and
> > I have no
> > desires to reconfigure each time.
> >
> > 2. <share name>
> > Haven't a clue what you are implying
>
> Your share on your '98 box is called what? you shared the C: drive as ''
> mongoose''?

Sorry I am not picking up on what you mean by share. The only thing that I
can think of that is being shared is the directory ?mongoose and it is
located on the linux box so that could not be what you mean. Please give an
example.

> > 3. <directory name you created>
> > I am assuming what you mean hear is:
> > /mongoose
>
> This is correct
>
> > Additional information:
> > The Linux box has 6 user assigned to it.
> > user password usage
> > root with lnpassword1 root
> > trunk with lnpassword2 computer stuff
> > branch with lnpassword3 backup of trunk's setup
> > twig with lnpassword4 un-used user
> > office1 with lnpassword5 work stuff
> > office2 with lnpassword6 back up of office1's setup
> >
> > I do not know if this is relevant but the Win98 box has 4 users
> > setup on it:
> > trunk with wnpassword1 not used
> > branch with wnpassword2 computer stuff
> > office1 with wnpasswoed3 not used