RE: [SLUG] Samba Question - Mount

From: Mikes work account (mrock@stewartsigns.com)
Date: Thu Jul 26 2001 - 09:27:42 EDT

<snip>
>I do have a Win 98 box.

that is what I am working from as well,,

>I am interpreting these comments to mean that I should create a
> directory on my root directory called:
>
> /mongoose

This is correct and that directory can be anywhere you want,,(ie:
/home/frank/mongoose)

> I am having trouble with the following:

Understand that my comments are for systems on a contiguous network and have
not been verified over either a DSL or Dial Up Line.
 Do I understand you correctly,,, you are trying to mount a 'remote' windows
share(charlie) on the Linux box(parker), which I assume is at work? or is
that vice versa?

> 1. <your server name> :

Your Linux box name will not change.
That is the Samba server I am talking about.
Are you behind a fire wall with your Linux box?
 You may have an application for automount, where the share is automatically
mounted when you login!!

> If I connect to the Internet via DSL this is assigned by the DSL server.
> If I connect to the Internet by modem this is localhost.localdomain
> parker = Linux box
> charlie = Win98 box
> If I assign names like in the linux box n /etc/hosts of:
> 192.168.1.1 parker parker.mynet.all
> 192.168.1.2 charlie charlie.mynet.all
> I can not dial out. My modem stops working.
> If I assign the above names in the Win98 box in: \windows\HOSTS
> the box and I
> attempt to ping parker (Linux box) from charlie (Win98 box) then
> the Win 98
> box attempts to dial out via modem.
>
> I DO NOT desire to disconnect the ability to dial out in the Win 98 box
> because I move equipment to and from the office to frequently and
> I have no
> desires to reconfigure each time.
>
> 2. <share name>
> Haven't a clue what you are implying

Your share on your '98 box is called what? you shared the C: drive as ''
mongoose''?

> 3. <directory name you created>
> I am assuming what you mean hear is:
> /mongoose

This is correct

> Additional information:
> The Linux box has 6 user assigned to it.
> user password usage
> root with lnpassword1 root
> trunk with lnpassword2 computer stuff
> branch with lnpassword3 backup of trunk's setup
> twig with lnpassword4 un-used user
> office1 with lnpassword5 work stuff
> office2 with lnpassword6 back up of office1's setup
>
> I do not know if this is relevant but the Win98 box has 4 users
> setup on it:
> trunk with wnpassword1 not used
> branch with wnpassword2 computer stuff
> office1 with wnpasswoed3 not used