Re: [SLUG] Samba Question - Mount

From: Frank Roberts - SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 17:58:48 EDT

On Thursday 19 July 2001 12:12 pm, you wrote:
Situation normal, I am not following you to well.

First I do not know if this makes any difference but I do NOT have a Win NT
box; I do have a Win 98 box.
I assume everything is the same thing but with a different name but having
experienced MS it could be anything.

> I have outlined the procedure for you:
>
> 1. create a directory on the Linux Server to hold the share. IE: if the
> directory you want to mount is mongoose then create a directory on the
> Linux box to hold that directory( I prefer to use names that either
> duplicate or resemble the NT directory names: for ease of reference later)
> Your NT files must be in a folder that is shared! with a share name.
Eventual target is to take the 45 GB HD and use it as a shared data drive.
Currently that is not possible so adopting your name mongoose for the shared
directory I am interpreting these comments to mean that I should create a
directory on my root directory called:

/mongoose

> 2. Mount with the command:

> mount -t smbfs -o username=<your NT user name>, paswd=<your NT password>

I am having trouble with the following:

1. <your server name> :
If I connect to the Internet via DSL this is assigned by the DSL server.
If I connect to the Internet by modem this is localhost.localdomain
parker = Linux box
charlie = Win98 box
If I assign names like in the linux box n /etc/hosts of:
192.168.1.1 parker parker.mynet.all
192.168.1.2 charlie charlie.mynet.all
I can not dial out. My modem stops working.
If I assign the above names in the Win98 box in: \windows\HOSTS the box and I
attempt to ping parker (Linux box) from charlie (Win98 box) then the Win 98
box attempts to dial out via modem.

I DO NOT desire to disconnect the ability to dial out in the Win 98 box
because I move equipment to and from the office to frequently and I have no
desires to reconfigure each time.

2. <share name>
Haven't a clue what you are implying

3. <directory name you created>
I am assuming what you mean hear is:
/mongoose

Additional information:
The Linux box has 6 user assigned to it.
user password usage
root with lnpassword1 root
trunk with lnpassword2 computer stuff
branch with lnpassword3 backup of trunk's setup
twig with lnpassword4 un-used user
office1 with lnpassword5 work stuff
office2 with lnpassword6 back up of office1's setup

I do not know if this is relevant but the Win98 box has 4 users setup on it:
trunk with wnpassword1 not used
branch with wnpassword2 computer stuff
office1 with wnpasswoed3 not used
office2 with wnpassword4 work stuff