Re: [SLUG] meetings--just an opinion

From: Tim Wright (t.wright1@mindspring.com)
Date: Sat Jul 28 2001 - 18:03:07 EDT

To help bridge the gap between total newbies and veterans, as well as various
specialty interests, the club may want to consider forming breakout groups to
address the needs of the various members. The Tampa Writers Alliance has been
doing this (Cirtique/Fiction workshop, Poetry workshop, Nonfiction workshop)
and it's been very successful. They hold a general meeting for the month,
then the different groups have their meetings in the following weeks.

SLUG could conceivably hold some kind of a newbie workshop meeting for those who
are just geeting started. A way to get their feet wet and learn basics before
wading into things like configuring a firewall or setting up an Apache server,
etc. This would be a good place for new folks to bring in their systems for
coached installs, etc, freeing up time for the more experienced members to get
into the hairier topics at the main meetings. Of course, all meetings would be
open to all members.

Stealing another page from TWA, the club can hold meetings in public
libraries. The biggest "catches" are that meetings in libraries must be open to
anybody walking in off the street and no money changes hands. (Can't sell
stuff). The advantage is having a neutral location that's relatively easy to
find, good meeting room facilities, and they have parking.

I'm willing to pitch in and help if there's an interest in running workshop
meetings for newbies and the Linux-curious. I've run workshops in the Tampa
Writers Alliance, and organizing these things isn't that hard. I'm no expert,
but I've taught myself enough that I can help a rookie install the OS on his
box and get it running. Is a Newbie Workshop something SLUG wants to do?