Re: [SLUG] TOMSRBT -- How To Fit 2.1M on 1.44M FD?

From: Greg Schmidt (slugmail@gschmidt.net)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2001 - 23:22:46 EDT

<snip>

> I really appreciate all of the guidance! I found Win Image here:
> http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/merrow/788/appz.html
>
> Problem, do I need recent manufacture disks to get this 1.72 non-standard
> format
> to "take"?
>
> Every time I run Win Image to format my existing disks it finds multiple
> errors on the
> physical floppies. It has been quite a while since I bought any new disks,
> could that
> be the problem?
>
> BTW: I also downloaded tar.exe for WinZip.
>
> Thanks! Doc

I seem to recall something in the Tom's root boot docs that said old floppy
drives might have a problem with the 1.7MB floppies, possibly damaging the
drive itself, so... if the hardware is VERY old... But, I've used it on a
pentium 90 with the stock floppy drive, and that's not exactly new. And,
yes, I think old floppies could be a problem. They're just not reliable media.
 I used to do support. Think of the results of $1000s of billable hours sitting
on one floppy disk and no where else (shudder). "But it's my lucky disk; I've
been using it for years." I told my clients to keep floppies about as long as
they would keep a styrofoam coffee cup. I had the login scripts pushing down an
icon shortcut to a DOS batch file that did "diskcopy A: A:" to all their
Windows desktops. I'm not a big fan of floppies. Right after I made my first
Tom's Root Boot disk, I made another. Floppies are cheap.