Re: [SLUG] Pocket Linux Install Problem

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Tue Jul 31 2001 - 22:44:29 EDT

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 09:53:48PM -0400, edoc wrote:

> OK, took your advice and tried to install Pocket Linux on a floppy instead
> of Toms ... for the moment at least.
>
> Downloaded rawrite3 and copied it to my IBM ThinkPad, did the same
> with Pocket-Linux.
>
> Ran rawrite3 and followed the prompts (file name and target location) to
> install to drive "a".
>
> The process completed and a dir of drive "a" produced garbage.

Rawrite is a DOS program that produces a bit-for-bit copy of something.
Typically, this would be a bootable "image" file that you'd copy onto a
floppy using this tool. That image would contain bootstrap code, a boot
filesystem and possibly a miniature root filesystem. If that's what's
going on here, then you're not going to be able to read it under DOS,
since it's now a Linux diskette.

> Rebooted the ThinkPad just for fun and it looked at the FD and then just
> stalled.

All things being equal, if you followed the instructions, the floppy
should allow you to reboot into Linux. If not, then a) floppy's bad, b)
image file is bad, or c) it doesn't understand/like your Thinkpad. Use
the floppy to boot another machine. If it doesn't work, then the
Thinkpad's not the problem. Try a different floppy (a known new good
one) for rawriting the image. If that won't boot, then the image is bad,
or you didn't follow the rawrite instructions properly.

Paul