Re: [SLUG] AutoCad on Linux?

From: Glen (gurensan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 13:27:26 EDT

AutoCAD definitely will not run on Linux. It'll run under VMware, but that's
no consolation. The other CAD/CAM apps on Linux really don't do the trick,
save for Qcad, which only does 2d but does generate G-code. Point is, there's
nothing of AutoCAD's caliber for either modelling (but this is coming...
there are a few projects that just might do the trick real soon) or for code
generation - but that part ACAD doesn't do anyway.

When I have the math under my belt, I'll be tackling just this very issue.
That'll unfortunately take a couple years. I'm currently working on a RS-232
comm library and command line program to handle getting the code to the
machine. I'll announce it on freshmeat as librs232 and sercomm(maybe) when
they're ready for release.

Keep looking, there should be some apps coming along soon to fill this hole.

        Glen