Re: [SLUG] Insight on Code Red II

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 09:12:12 EDT

BTW, I am the one who started this thread

I almost did not post this message. But, due to Code Red II, there is
another reason to run Linux.

Linux is the key to this whole thing. Like I said, if you are
running Linux and apache, you are a "honey pot" for collecting IPs of
these compromised Win2k machines without any effect.

I guess Code Read II is a very weak argument for supporting the use
Linux and GNU / Opensource software. Now would be the best opportune time
to tell your friends, boss, co-workers, or anyone that would listen the
values of GNU / Opensource software. I guess I was wrong on bring up this
subject to support Linux! (Last time I checked, supporting the use of
Linux is not against the SLUG posting policy.)

But, think again, with Code Read scare running rampant (on the news, air
wave, etc), I and perhaps we should seize the opportunity. I or we do not
need to do much except deliver this brief message:

"If you were running Linux or Opensource software, you would not have to
worry about all of these nonsense."

Furthermore, I or we could add:

"By running Linux or Opensource software, you are saving a great deal of
time and money. Who cares about BSA?"

If the above reasonings are not related to Linux or Opensource software, I
have been mistaken. Perhaps, I am preaching to the wrong "booth"! As
a Linux / Opensource advocate, one should draw any inference that will
support and promote its causes.

Kai

On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Russell Hires wrote:

> Actually, I was thinking: Wrong booth. :-)
>
> This is about Linux?
>
> Russell
>
> On Monday 06 August 2001 22:59, you wrote:
> > Since:
> >
> > 1) I don't use microsoft products
> >
> > 2) Any friends I have left who use windows have removed me from their
> > mailing list because I keep telling them how crappy windows is
> >
> > then Code Red is completely irrelevant to me.
> >
> > Ed "I could care less" Centanni
> >
> > Kai Lien wrote:

- --

Kai Lien

Lense Consulting Company
www.lenseco.com

Fortune Cookie of the Day:

The average individual's position in any hierarchy is a lot like pulling
a dogsled -- there's no real change of scenery except for the lead dog.