[SLUG] help with ftping.

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 07:59:04 EDT

I need some help ftping to a remote server, I'm at a loss as to what the
problem is. We have been fighting this for weeks with not resolution.

The remoter server is behind a linksys router on Roadrunner and running Redhat
7.0

If I ftp to this server it times out (in passive mode) and if I use active mode
I get a 500 Illegal PORT Command ftp: bind: Address already in use.

Ftp works on the internal network (which I would suspect) but the odd thing is
it will work if you dial in to an isp. But won't work if you connect from a DSL
isp. Is that strange or what?

Can anyone offer any suggestions on things to check. A port scan of the server
says the ftp port 21 is filtered.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.
Mike M.