Re: [SLUG] Insight on Code Red II

From: Doug Koobs (dkoobs@dkoobs.dnsalias.org)
Date: Thu Aug 09 2001 - 20:12:50 EDT

Ian wrote:
> Why do people continue to quote Gibson (www.grc.com) and state that raw
> sockets in WindowsXP is the end of the world?

I think the reason Gibson is so upset is _not_ that XP will employ raw
sockets, but that an OS with raw socket support will be marketed en masse to
_individuals_ (with little sense of security) as oppossed to corporations
(with hopefully some kind of security in place). His contention is that MS's
Pre-XP OS's that have raw socket support are mostly implemetned in
corporations that (hopefully) have some kind of secuity policy in place. XP
will be marketed and implemented in homes, mostly with no security at all,
making them easy targets for hackers.

I'm not convinced that the situation is as dire as Gibson claims, but we
will soon find out...

Doug