Fwd: Re: [SLUG] Pro-Linux at MCSE Site

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Sat Aug 11 2001 - 18:10:04 EDT

False administrivia bounce (unarmored word).

----- Forwarded message from slug@lists.nks.net -----

From: Bill <selinux@home.com>
To: mdlug@radiusnet.net
Subject: Fwd: Re: [SLUG] Pro-Linux at MSCE Site
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:24:26 -0400

Recently MDLUG was approached by Microsoft reps. about the idea
of a meeting with us.

For whatever reason, MDLUG has accepted that offer.

I think that is a mistake.
I think we need to admit our mistake.
I think we need to c*ncel the meeting.
Forthwith.

I spoke out about this originally. I am still speaking out about
it. I think the original decision was foolish and based on a
foundation of ego and not of reasoning. Examine, if you will,
your motivations for engaging in dialogue with an enemy who
takes few hostages ... and kills those few.

This offer of a meeting is the beginning of a lethal embrace. It
is just the first act of a three act play ... Embrace, Extend,
Extinguish. That is no friendly embrace; it's the hug of a boa.

As you can see from the MDLUG meeting offer, the Tokyo job
offers ( http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ ) and the "pro-Linux" MSCE
site mentioned below, the offer of a meeting is not a local
initiative; it is part of a carefully orchestrated embrace. It
is timed to coincide with the backpedaling out of Redmond. Have
you not noticed the MSFT PR people stating their bosses were
wrong in speaking so harshly about Linux & the GPL?

PR people do not state that the boss blundered if they value
their jobs. Unless the boss told them to say that. The frontal
assault didn't go over very well. Not in the press, not on the
web and not in the corporate boardrooms. The above mentioned
olive branches are flanking manuevers. When it comes to the art
of war, Bill Gates has no equal. Do not underestimate the man.

You guys are talking like we've won and it is time to gracefully
accept a capitualtion and surrender. Little could be further
from the truth. All we've done is get the gorilla ticked off.
We've pricked him enough with a pin that he's starting to notice
and react . That's no olive branch ... that's a stick.

Bill