[SLUG] Newbie to LINUX

From: dopler2@juno.com
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 18:15:20 EDT

     I'm a 'po boy with a 486 I want to put LINUX on. I have a 1 gig hard
drive, with a 300 meg partition dedicated to Caldera Dos 7.03 and Windows
3.1. The other 700 I've partitioned for LINUX. The monitor is a VGA, but
not SVGA I don't think.
     I've tried various flavors of LINUX over the past couple of years.
What with holding down a day job and having to deal with the trials and
tribs of life on a "mostly harmless" planet, I've maybe put in two weeks
of man hours. I tried Caldera 2.3, but couldn't navigate around the
installation menu.
     Red Hat 6.2 I had to use text mode in the installation program, but
when I finally got to the last screen and tried to kick off installation,
it said it couldn't recognize my Linux partition. I had Debian on before
that and Caldera, but couldn't figure out how to download enough to do
anything with.
     I got Caldera 1.3 loaded, and LISA set up so I could boot either my
DOS/WIN 3 or Linux partitons. Couldn't get the dialer to log onto my ISP
so I could run NETSCAPE.
     A fellow who's a friend of a used PC shop worker suggested
Slackware, and said the latest version should do all right. I'm still
trying to install it, and pick and choose packages to install so I can
get enough, but not too much.
     All I wanna do with LINUX is run NETSCAPE (I have a 56K modem on COM
2, FYI), and use a word processor. I'd like one with a dictionary you can
add to, with the capability to import ASCII text files of unlimited size.
It would have to let me use various sized text fonts, and it would be
great if I could edit PDF files. I hear tell that LINUX beats the pants
offa windows. A friend of mine has a PC with windows 98, and you have to
lean on the NORTON system protector to recover from software crashes at
least every other week, maybe more.

Thanx in advance,
Frank Starr
Tampa, Florida