Re: [SLUG] Newbie to LINUX

From: Ed Centanni (ecentan1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Aug 12 2001 - 19:40:23 EDT

>From my experience, the minimum system you need to run the X window
system (Linux's usual GUI) is a 133Mhz machine with 32-64 Meg of RAM and
then only use a light weight window manager (desktop environment) such
as FVWM 95, etc. This kind of setup is not the default on most modern
distributions and would take some expertise to set up, tweak, and make
work with a degree of usefulness. The usual desktop environments that
run on top of X (KDE and GNOME) are too resource hungry for older
hardware but they have the easy-to-use programs that make getting your
dialout working easy.

Having said that, I DID get KDE-1 to work well once on a 486-100 with 64
Meg of RAM. RAM is key to good X performance and make sure you allocate
a partition for swap space -- at least 64Meg and perferably 128M. I
used an elderly SuSE 5.3 distro. Try one of the newer SuSEs and choose
the 2.2 kernel not the 2.4. The KPPP utility that comes with KDE makes
setting up a modem ppp connection easy.

Ed.