Re: [SLUG] Fwd: Question about alleged ms meeting

From: Bill (selinux@home.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 01:32:18 EDT

On Monday 13 August 2001 11:48, you wrote:
> Here is the somewhat vague and oblique reply I received from
> one of the mdlug members in regards a meeting with microsoft.
> Smitty

Smitty, Tom is a personal friend. I have dined with him and been
a guest at his house on a couple of occaisions. We have spoken
at length on personal topics unrelated to Linux. But he is
probably not the guy to go to for direct, concise answers.

I, personally, am spearheading the "anti-MSFT-meeting" drive on
MDLUG. My already fragile popularity index is suffering
mightily. <chuckling heartily!> I consider this an indication
that I am on the right track. Proponents of the meeting are
presently at the stage of villifying the messenger (me). I
suspect this is because they have not been able to answer a
couple of pointed questions:

A) What does Microsoft have that we need?
B) How will the meeting help to get it from them?

To which I provided the answers:

A) Nothing
B) It can't.

One of the members observed that Microsoft only wants to confirm
the marketing information their consultants are giving them. I
responded by inquiring why on earth we would help them. At all.

A couple on that list have wondered what I am so fearful about.
One ... (hereafter referred to as "the minion") ... went so far
as to assure me that Microserfs do not see themselves as evil. I
am hard pressed to fully express my gratitude for that
enlightenment. However, that noise known as a "Bronx cheer"
comes to mind. Even so, I really am not much concerned with the
self-image held by the employees of Microsoft. The average
German thought they were doing the right thing in WW II. History
showed otherwise. Having warm fuzzy thoughts about Microsoft
will be cold solace if they succeed in defeating the GPL. The
thought that the LUGS might help them do it nauseates me. I mean
that quite literally.

I am wondering how some members of MDLUG manage to chew their
own food. Microsoft does not have a good track record. Stac
Electronics, DR-DOS, Kerberos come swiftly to mind; to name just
a few well-known examples of their tactics and intentions.

It is beginning to feel like late summer, 1938.
http://library.byu.edu/~rdh/eurodocs/uk/peace.html
http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/imt/munich1.htm
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/WW2Timeline/Prelude11.html

It's a very frustrating time at this end of I-75.

Bill

--
... and reply to "selinux", instead.
icq # 126373831