[SLUG] Help with FTP

From: Mike Manchester (mchester@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 13:34:16 EDT

Hi all
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this problem.

We have a server located up north as in North Carolina, running Redhat 7.0.
It's behind a linksys router BEFSR11 and for the live of us we can't get
the darn think to let us ftp into it with the exception of wsftp on
Windows. From what I can gather wsftp uses passive mode and scans ports
until it finds ports it can use. Correct me if I'm wrong here. We have
enabled port 20 through 21 and ever tried enabling ports 4 through 10000
but still can only ftp with wsftp.

When I ftp in from a remote terminal I can connect and login but when I do
an ls it just hangs and then times out with no route to host. If I try
active mode ftp I get a 500 Illegal port command. ssh works as did telnet
when it was enabled. The web server also works. I'm at a lose here. Does
anyone know what ports passive ftp uses? Why won't active ftp work? FTPing
to itself from itself works. I really think it's related to the ports. Is
there a good way to check out the ports? I've tried scanning them and the
scanner says they are open filtered. Does anyone have any experience with
the above mentioned router?

PLEASE HELP!
Mike M.