Re: [SLUG] Help with FTP

From: billt (billt@ifelse.org)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 22:01:13 EDT

On Tue, Aug 14, 2001 at 01:34:16PM -0400, Mike Manchester wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this problem.
>
> We have a server located up north as in North Carolina,
> running Redhat 7.0. It's behind a linksys router BEFSR11
> and for the live of us we can't get the darn think to let
> us ftp into it with the exception of wsftp on Windows. From
> what I can gather wsftp uses passive mode and scans ports
> until it finds ports it can use. Correct me if I'm wrong
> here. We have enabled port 20 through 21 and ever tried
> enabling ports 4 through 10000 but still can only ftp with
> wsftp.
>
> When I ftp in from a remote terminal I can connect and
> login but when I do an ls it just hangs and then times out
> with no route to host. If I try active mode ftp I get a 500
> Illegal port command. ssh works as did telnet when it was
> enabled. The web server also works. I'm at a lose here.

If ssh is working, maybe try sftp. It uses one port (port 22, the ssh
port) and is more secure than ftp (encrypted password/session). sftp
comes with openssh, but don't enough about the commercial 'ssh2'
product to comment on whether it is included with that.

It won't do for a general anonymous ftp server, but for personal
ftp'ing it works pretty well.