Re: [SLUG] Question

From: Kai Lien (kai@lenseco.com)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 14:07:08 EDT

Here is a shot in the dark since I do not run Debian...

check /etc/inittab or equivalent in Debian

and change the run level to X then the next time your reboot GUI will
start

before you do that, make sure your have one of the Window / Session
Managers installed.

Kai

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, A2L1 wrote:

> First off for the record let me state I like using linux. That said now I
> can ask my question. I prefer using a GUI --so stone me--I realize that no
> linux guru uses a GUI, but then Im not claiming to be a guru, only a user (
> sounds like I need rehab huh?) anyway I have loaded Debian and sucessfully I
> might add but now I would prefer to start-up to a gui logon and not command
> line.
> Maybe I have become spoiled by Mandrake and SuSe but I really prefer to have
> a selection of window managers and to be able to select the desktop of my
> choice at the time I log on. I like to change things up thats why I have all
> these diff distros loaded in the first place--I also prefer to select
> desktops maybe a different one each time I log on. So I ask the following---
> How do I get debian to default to a gui at start-up and offer an option of
> window-managers/desktops when I do?? (like SuSE and Mandrake --and most other
> rpm distros) The O'Reilly book Learning Debian GNU/Linux doesnt even offer a
> clue and I can find no FAQ or help for this. I do have Libranet and storm etc
> but have loaded Debian 2.2 potato which does NOT default to gui.
> Ok ---now you may all throw stones and wipe the(laughing) tears from your
> eyes (get up of the floor and stop laughing Paul--)
> Thanks,
> AJ

- --

Kai Lien

Lense Consulting Company
www.lenseco.com

Fortune Cookie of the Day:

George's friend Sam had a dog who could recite the Gettysburg Address. "Let
me buy him from you," pleaded George after a demonstration.
        "Okay," agreed Sam. "All he knows is that Lincoln speech anyway."
        At his company's Fourth of July picnic, George brought his new pet
and announced that the animal could recite the entire Gettysburg Address.
No one believed him, and they proceeded to place bets against the dog.
George quieted the crowd and said, "Now we'll begin!" Then he looked at
the dog. The dog looked back. No sound. "Come on, boy, do your stuff."
Nothing. A disappointed George took his dog and went home.
        "Why did you embarrass me like that in front of everybody?" George
yelled at the dog. "Do you realize how much money you lost me?"
        "Don't be silly, George," replied the dog. "Think of the odds we're
gonna get on Labor Day."