[SLUG] Question

From: A2L1 (A2L1@gte.net)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 13:24:30 EDT

First off for the record let me state I like using linux. That said now I
can ask my question. I prefer using a GUI --so stone me--I realize that no
linux guru uses a GUI, but then Im not claiming to be a guru, only a user (
sounds like I need rehab huh?) anyway I have loaded Debian and sucessfully I
might add but now I would prefer to start-up to a gui logon and not command
line.
 Maybe I have become spoiled by Mandrake and SuSe but I really prefer to have
a selection of window managers and to be able to select the desktop of my
choice at the time I log on. I like to change things up thats why I have all
these diff distros loaded in the first place--I also prefer to select
desktops maybe a different one each time I log on. So I ask the following---
How do I get debian to default to a gui at start-up and offer an option of
window-managers/desktops when I do?? (like SuSE and Mandrake --and most other
rpm distros) The O'Reilly book Learning Debian GNU/Linux doesnt even offer a
clue and I can find no FAQ or help for this. I do have Libranet and storm etc
but have loaded Debian 2.2 potato which does NOT default to gui.
Ok ---now you may all throw stones and wipe the(laughing) tears from your
eyes (get up of the floor and stop laughing Paul--)
 Thanks,
  AJ