[SLUG] eth0 problem

From: Matt (gopackgo@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 10:20:54 EDT

Hi everyone.
I am somewhat new to Linux and I am having a problem getting a 3Com 905
initialized 'properly' at bootup on a Debian potato distro.
I keep getting a message like this:
eth0: using NWAY device table, not 8
eth0: using NWAY device table, not 8
eth0: using NWAY device table, not 8

I have the card setup for DHCP as per the /etc/network/interfaces file:
iface inet eth0 dhcp

I can setup the card statically after boot using the following comands,
though:
# ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.25 netmask 255.255.255.0
# route add default gw 192.168.1.1

After I manually setup the card, network connectivity works fine. I suspect
the problem is with ipchains, but I am not really sure. A friend of mine
pointed me to your list; I am hoping someone can help. I have attached 3
files -- /etc/init.d/networking, /etc/network/interfaces and the last boot
from a 2.4.6 kernel I recently compiled. Note: The problem started before I
compiled the new kernel.

One other thing, my optical mouse is intializing properly at boot, but I
can't seem to get it to work with gpm or X. I have a /dev/usbmouse block?
device file, but it doesn't appear to work. Any ideas?
Sorry for the lengthy email.