Re: [SLUG] Progeny-Debian PPP OK -- Sound Still Weird

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Thu Aug 16 2001 - 16:24:20 EDT

> If that doesn't do it, see what modules are installed with /sbin/lsmod

soundcore 3056 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport_probe 3632 0 (autoclean)
parport_pc 7536 1 (autoclean)
lp 6192 0 (autoclean) (unused)
parport 7968 1 (autoclean) [parport_probe parport_pc lp]
serial_cs 5376 0 (unused)
ds 6384 2 (autoclean)
mousedev 3776 0 (unused)
ide-scsi 7728 0
i82365 22352 2
pcmcia_core 44832 0 [serial_cs ds i82365]
3c589_cs 8464 1
nls_cp437 3904 0 (autoclean)
sr_mod 17152 0 (autoclean)
cdrom 29632 0 (autoclean)
isofs 18208 0 (autoclean)

> You'll have to have the proper module loaded for your sound chip.

I ran MAKEDEV -v audio and a bunch of stuff seemed to be created.
Names I saw as it scrolled by included audio, and I thought I saw
mixer, dsp, sound, etc ... can't be sure.

Where might it have put this stuff?

The CD player runs but no sound heard. The Mixer still comes up missing.

> If the modules are loaded, you'll need permission to use the sound, so
either
> try out sound as root, or make sure your user is in group audio (the
groups
> command will show you which groups you are in).

I am in root.

> if you don't have a mixer, you can search for one with the apt-cache
program
> apt-cache search mixer will search available packages for a mixer

Nothing found for mixer, sound, audio, or dsp.

> You can also search something like google groups (formerly deja news) with
the
> words debian sound and the name of your card (or chip).
> scott

No certain of my chip. I think it is a Crystal and one piece of HP info I
downloaded
and printed a while back described the OmniBook 4100 as having a SB
compatible
chip.

I feel as though I am inching closer ... sure wich I knew what happened to
PPP so
I could get Internet access back on that machine.

Thanks! Doc