Re: [SLUG] Verizon DSL -- Anything I Should Know?

From: R.G. Mayhue (r.g.mayhue@verizon.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 12:27:07 EDT

On Sunday 19 August 2001 07:15 am, Bill Ehlert wrote:

> Hi Doc,
>
> Check out a small Tampa ISP, http://www.rapidsys.com
>
> They offer Verizon DSL, static IP, and no contracts for $39 per
> month.
>
> Have fun,

I'll bet they block ports on their residential accounts. Here is a
sniplet off of their web site:

" * Business aDSL is considered a client utilizing their own web
server, email server, ftp server, or setting up multiple computers on
a single aDSL line, regardless if in a commercial or residential
environment. "

Thats a clue that they will probably block the ports on a residential
account. They are using Verizon's lines, but they control your
access. Plus they charge $60 for the "installation kit" that Verizon
sends to you free.

About a year ago I called every DSL provider in the area...well at
least the ones who could possibly supply service in the NPR area.
Verizon was the only one who didn't block any ports. Maybe some
others have popped up recently that I didn't call. But that in it
self was why I chose Verizon as my provider/ISP.

When I talked to the techs at Verizon they told me. "No. We don't
block any ports. We don't care what you do with the connection. If
you want to run a web server, mail server or whatever. Just remember
that the upload speed is capped at 128k (in my case) ."

It almost seems as if its too much of a hassle for Verizon to go to
all the trouble of maintaining blocked ports for residential vs
business accounts. For now I count my blessings because I never know
when it will change. Maybe tomorrow? Who knows?

BTW.....a 128k uplink can give you over 35GB/mo transfer! Shop around
and compare that to some of the web hosting deals you can get. You'll
find that running your own server plus having the download speed is
very attractive :)

Ok.....I'm through on this subject. No more from me :)

--
R.G. Mayhue
r.g.mayhue@verizon.net