Re: [SLUG] Re: Progeny -- Laptop Sound -- The Saga Continues

From: Scott Piper (piper@ij.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 18:21:34 EDT

Are you sure that you are running a different kernel? enter the command

uname -a

and see what you are running.

Also, the modules are stored by kernel version in the /lib/modules directory,
so you should see a directory for each kernel version you have.

Even if you install a new kernel, you may have to modify or rerun lilo if you
want to boot it. If you have to do that, then add the new kernel as an
additional boot selection, keeping the old one if something doesn't work
correctly.

To get the board's irq and io stuff, you may have to run the isapnp tools.
I've found that pnp devices (isa ones) are set up quite nicely automatically by
kernels 2.4 and later, but isapnp has to be compiled in as an option. I don't
know if the stock deb kernels after 2.4 use that option or not. You could
install one and see.

I do remember trying a debian kernel, I think 2.4.6 on my office machine, but I
like to compile them myself so i don't use it. It used a ramdisk to start
things off, then switched off to the hd, which I thought was a bit strange. I
had to add a line pointing to the initrd file in my lilo configuration for it
to load properly. Sometihing along the lines of
file=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.6-initrd.

scott