Re: [SLUG] RH 7.1, Win 98, and Samba

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 20:34:19 EDT

On Sunday 19 August 2001 04:57 pm, you wrote:

> <snip>
> I haven't followed this closely,

Actually you have. Very little has been posted on the SLUG list about this.

> but I assume that the machine that ends
> up "pinging" the 169* address is the Windows machine?

Yes

> Actually, I'll
> bet it's not actually pinging that address, but looking to that address
> for name resolution.

That is what I suspect too.

> You have to fiddle with Windows to make this stop,
> but I can't recall how. It's something like either disabling Dial-Up
> Networking, or changing the nameserver to the local machine. Something
> like that.
>
> Paul

Thanks Paul

All of this is a next weekend issue.
I only work on Linux configuration on the weekend and this one is over.

Maybe if I am lucky I can find time to look for a Win Network User Group that
has the same character as a Linux group but I dought that I will have the
time.

Thanks Again.

Frank