Re: [SLUG] Under $600. laptops & Linux

From: edoc (kd4e@arrl.net)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2001 - 23:33:40 EDT

Sure appreciate the feedback!

> Thinkpad 760XL (P166MMX)

I visited here: http://mobilix.org/modem_linux.html yesterday and
this unit was not listed as having Linux-compatible modems, perhaps
because they hadn't yet tried it! :-)

> Toshiba 4030CDT (Celeron 300)
> Andrew

The same site says that the modem in this unit does not work with Linux,
stating that it has a "LT WinModem" ... I wonder if it is the distro and
version of Linux they used?

Your experience says that both of these do in fact have modems and
sound that work with Linux ... and that's what I need to know!

> I, too, run without issues on Toshiba's --
> ... snip ...
> a P233 with 64 M and RH 7.2 beta with with function, including the
> USB functions. -- Russ

Which Toshiba P233, please? There seem to be so many variations between
specific models!

Thanks!

Doc