Re: [SLUG] How come no OEM dual-boot machines?

From: Robert Haeckl (rhaeckl@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 14:45:41 EDT

Norbert Cartagena wrote:

> > Too bad the
> > current legal hassle facing MS became so narrowly
> > focused.
> >

> Is it just me, or does it seem like the Gov't is just
> picking the wrong battles? I mean, the Browser deal -
> I thought - paled in comparison to this (which, though
> it was a "trade secret", was actually somewhat known).

I suppose it was obvious to those using and developing alternate OS's,
but the appropriate parties weren't initially involved, as I understand
it. I think David Boises made a decision to fight one battle at a time,
and this alternate OS problem wasn't the leading complaint.
Unfortunately, BeOS must not have had the resources or the backing to
reorganize a new battle. If IBM does help bring more attention to the
use of Linux as a viable alternative (more than just a server platform)
and starts to economically benefit from it, then I wouldn't be surprised
if Red Hat, et al., and major OEM's do revisit this issue and bring it
to the attention of the Attorney's General.

-Robert